Volleyball

Greta Schlichter, Veronica Sierzant and Zharia Harris-Waddy flash potential in straight-set loss to Clemson

Jack Henry | Contributing Photographer

Despite a straight set loss to Clemson, Syracuse's underclassmen stepped up and flashed their potential.

A few months ago Greta Schlichter wasn’t expected to be an outside hitter for Syracuse. Coming into Syracuse as a libero, the German native has been forced into multiple roles with Syracuse this year because of injuries. In the first set Schlichter thwarted a couple of Clemson attacks, despite only being 5-feet-6-inches tall.

Schlichter is one of many underclassmen making their mark for the Orange this season. Veronica Sierzant has performed well, Melina Brooking got an extended run, and Zharia Harris-Waddy has emerged as one of SU’s top players. Even as Syracuse (2-19, 0-11 ACC) lost in straight sets to Clemson (13-10, 4-7 ACC), the younger players stepped up.

Typically reserved for the tallest and most powerful players on the court, Schlichter’s experience at outside hitter has had varying results. With Cherlin Antonio out indefinitely, and Ariana Joubert out for the season, head coach Bakeer Ganesharatnam’s hand was forced into putting Schlichter on the outside yet again. Tonight, she successfully blocked three Clemson attacks while recording five kills and just three errors.

“It’s crazy that we’re talking about her development as an outside hitter, because she’s a libero,” Ganesharatnam said of Schlihcter, “But I think she’s progressed a lot in that aspect.”

Earlier in the season, when Schlichter was used as an outside, it was a major weakness for the Orange, but she’s grown accustomed to her interim role.

“She’s gotten to the point where she’s not somebody that the other team can take advantage of,” Ganesharatnam said, “She doesn’t hurt us from an offensive standpoint because she’s producing for us.”

Ganesharatnam said even if her hits don’t result in kills, she places the ball well, helping get opponents out of system. The Orange had a ton of long rallies with the Tigers today, many spurred on by Schlichter’s attacks.

It wasn’t just Schlichter, as Sierzant also had one of her best performances of the season. The freshman recorded a career-high 10 kills. Her previous high came last Friday in a loss against Miami where she had seven. Sierzant has been playing as a setter and outside hitter all season long.

“She’s listening and trying to implement what we tell her on the court in practice,” Ganesharatnam said. “She understands that not everything is going to be perfect right away, but she’s sticking with it and learning.”

“All of our coaches have confidence in us to play different positions,” Sierzant said, “Because we wouldn’t be in this position if they didn’t have confidence in us.”

The emergence of Sierzant on the outside has lessened the blow of losing Antonio and Joubert. But even with her strong performance, the Orange failed to take a set from Clemson.

While Schlichter and Sierzant have been focal points this season, Brooking has been a role player in her sophomore year after barely appearing as a freshman. Tonight, Brooking slotted into the role of defensive specialist in the back row next to libero Alyssa Bert for the majority of the match.

“I think (Brooking) played her best match of the season,” Ganesharatnam said, “She works hard whenever she gets the opportunity, and she doesn’t complain.”

Her eleven digs represented the second-highest mark this season, and just three shy of her total her entire freshman season.

Harris-Waddy has been another freshman who’s stepped up and been a consistent weapon in the middle of the floor for Syracuse. Tonight, she put in one of her best performances of the season, with eight kills, a .400 hitting percentage, and four blocks.

Throughout the match, when Syracuse allowed Clemson to go on runs, Harris-Waddy was usually answering with a big kill or block. However, those moments didn’t quite come often enough for the Orange, leading to another loss.

Despite the defeat, it’s clear that this freshman class, which also includes setter Mira Ledermueller (who had 14 assists tonight) is a bright spot for Syracuse. Harris-Waddy said she’s excited to see what the next four games have in stored for the team.

“It’s exciting, this obviously hasn’t been the best year, but getting this experience will help us in the future,” Sierzant said.