Guest Column

As your new Student Association President and Vice President, we will address students’ needs

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

Guest Column | The next president and vice president of the Student Association voice their plan to continue implementing positive change for the student body.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

To the student body,

We are William Treloar and Yasmin Nayrouz, the upcoming president and vice president of the Student Association, and we are excited and honored to represent the student body.

We’ve both been a part of the Student Association since our freshman year, as Speaker of the Assembly and Vice President of University Affairs, respectively. Our experience has shown us the importance of engaging with students to understand what they want from their campus. As we enter our 67th session next year, we look forward to continuing and expanding engagement with the student body.

In the past three years, we’ve been able to create and develop different initiatives and programming. Some initiatives we’ve facilitated include participating in the Harvest Festival, the writing of the student response to the DEIA Strategic Plan, starting the grocery trolley program and pushing for the creation of Wellness Days. We will expand on some of these initiatives next year and continue advocating for what you want.

As we look to the future, we have several additional goals. We will push for action on the sustainability report by the university in hopes of reaching carbon neutrality by 2030, sooner than SU’s original plan of 2040. We will call for more resources and the promotion of mental health resources. We will work with administration and food services to bring back meal swipes in the Schine Student Center and improve the on-campus dining experience. Additionally, national elections will be happening during our year, and we plan to provide students with the information and support they need to vote.

We also plan to connect with Registered Student Organizations, multicultural organizations and other communities on campus by going to them directly, so students know they can always reach out to us. Student input will drive our administration’s actions, so we can better advocate for you. We’re already working on this as we plan to launch the Student Body Needs survey this month, which we encourage everyone to fill out and make their voices heard.

Overall, we want to create a diverse and robust cabinet, because we are only as effective as the team that we work with. Applications are currently open, and we encourage students to apply and become student leaders themselves. We are always receptive to student concerns, so if you have any questions or thoughts to share about campus we can be reached at wjtreloa@syr.edu and ynayrouz@syr.edu.

Student Association is a group of students who are dedicated to making positive change on campus, and we’re honored to lead it. Addressing student needs has always been our top priority. Now, we will make them the top priority of this university, as well. We are excited to get to work making this campus better and inclusive for all students.

William Treloar and Yasmin Nayrouz