On campus

SU alumnus donates $300,000 for scholarships to underrepresented students

Dan Lyon | Asst. Photo Editor

Rob Light is a member of SU’s Board of Trustees and a graduate of the Class of 1978.

Syracuse University received a major donation this month to fund three scholarships supporting underrepresented students interested in studying at two of the university’s schools and colleges.

Rob Light and his wife Shelly’s $300,000 donation will support two scholarships for students in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and the College of Visual and Performing Arts, according to an SU News release. A third scholarship will be awarded to a student in Newhouse’s Bandier Program, which focuses on the music industry.

Light is a member of SU’s Board of Trustees and a graduate of the Class of 1978. The scholarships will be awarded through the Our Time Has Come Scholarship Program in the Office of Multicultural Affairs. The program provides scholarships, financial aid and leadership training by SU alumni and community members to historically underrepresented students. There were 58 scholars in the program during the 2018-19 academic year.

Light announced the donation during an SU event in Los Angeles on June 11. He is a managing partner of Creative Artists Agency, a Los Angeles-based sports and talent agency. Light oversees all of the agency’s music agents, advising clients and organizing schedules for music tours and events.

“Our love for the university is enormous, which is why we are thrilled to help students join the Syracuse family and have access to the same opportunities that I did,” Light said at the event.