Women's Lacrosse

Syracuse women’s lacrosse opponent preview: What to know about Princeton

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff Photographer

Syracuse finished the season 9-9 with a 1-6 record in conference play, but faces off against a team it's beat in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Friday against Princeton.

Syracuse is set to open the NCAA Tournament against Princeton on Friday, May 11, in Newton, Massachusetts. SU just narrowly sneaked into the field coming off a 9-9 season with just one conference win under its belt. The Tigers have found much more success this season, finishing 12-5 with a favorable 6-1 record in Ivy League play.

Here’s what you need to know about Princeton.

All-time series: Series tied, 1-1

Last time they played: On March 29 this year, the Orange recorded a signature road win over the Tigers, topping them 17-16. Nine different SU players recorded a point with senior Riley Donahue, freshman Sam Swart and sophomores Bella Recchion and Vanessa Costantino all recording four points each.

The Princeton Review: The Tigers are riding a six-game win streak which was capped by an Ivy League Championship win over Penn. Over that span, Princeton is averaging 17.67 goals per game while not allowing its opponent to surpass 10 goals in five of the six games, a 9.16 per game average. While Princeton has easily handled inferior Ivy League opponents, it has also held its own against top teams. The Tigers suffered one goal losses to the Orange as well as top overall seed Maryland earlier in the season. It has also stuck around with Virginia, who bested the Orange in Charlottesville this season, and recorded wins over then-No. 18 Penn State and a regular season win over the then-No. 10 Penn Quakers.

How Syracuse beats Princeton: Over the past six games, there has seemingly been no formula for topping the Tigers. They haven’t allowed opponents to score easily, and when they did, Princeton recorded its highest goals total over the six-game stretch (22). But the Orange can find a way to win by executing a similar game plan to its last win over the Tigers. Princeton was the first team all season that caused a heavily face-guarded Nicole Levy to go shotless. In the win, the Orange was able to get contributions from a number of players to make up for her lack of production, something it struggled to do in the season-ending skid that followed the Orange’s road win over the Tigers. Emily Hawryschuk must continue to score as she has all season, and the Orange could use strong play from talented freshman Swart — who scored three goals in SU’s win over Princeton earlier this season — as well as a similar performance from goalkeeper Asa Goldstock, who held the Tigers to 16 goals despite the SU defense allowing 32 shots.

Numbers to know:

.400 — Princeton’s winning percentage against opponents SU has played. The Orange struggled all season with a tough schedule and still managed to squeak into the NCAA tournament, facing off against a Tigers team from a far more inferior conference.

.571 — The Tigers’ Kyla Sears’ shooting percentage, which is 13th in the country. The freshman has developed into the Tigers’ best offensive player this year.

6.96 —The combined draw controls per game from Princeton and SU’s top draw-control contributors — Marge Donovan (3.76 per game) and Julie Cross (3.20 per game), respectively. The mark is lower than that of each of the top nine draw control specialists in the country.

5 — The amount of freshmen in Princeton’s starting lineup. The Tigers are led by freshman Kyla Sears, who leads the team in points, and its defense is anchored by Sam Fish, a freshman goalkeeper.

Player to watch: Kyla Sears, Attack, No. 7

The freshman has burst onto the NCAA scene and has quickly blossomed into Princeton’s best player. Tied for 20th in the nation in goals, the Orange will have its hands full stopping the young attack. SU has already struggled with stopping the country’s more dynamic players this year, most notably allowing Boston College’s Sam Apuzzo — who it will meet again if the Orange advances past the Tigers — to record eight points in the Eagles’ one-goal win.