Women's Lacrosse

Syracuse drops to No. 12 in Inside Lacrosse’s newest poll

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Syracuse has fallen four spots in the past two weeks.

Syracuse (6-3, 0-2 Atlantic Coast) dropped to No. 12 in the Inside Lacrosse poll. After splitting its games against unranked opposition, the Orange fell in the rankings for the second-straight week.

The fall comes after SU lost its most recent contest in overtime, 11-10, to Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana. Before Saturday’s loss, the Orange picked up an easy win against Cornell on Tuesday. The loss to Notre Dame was the first time Syracuse fell to an unranked opponent this season after five-straight wins against unranked teams.

The Fighting Irish received votes this week after the upset over Syracuse. With SU falling out of the top 10 for the first time this year, just three ACC teams remain: No. 2 Boston College, No. 5 North Carolina and No. 10 Virginia. Two more ACC teams are ranked in the top 20: No. 17 Virginia Tech and No. 20 Duke.

Stony Brook remained at No. 1 in the poll for another week, now at 8-0 on the season, and BC remained perfect as well at 12-0. New-No. 3 Maryland beat the two other previously-undefeated teams in the last week, besting both James Madison and Penn. The defending national champion Terrapins already have an 18-11 victory over Syracuse in the Carrier Dome on their resume, as well.

Syracuse will play the second of four games in eight days on Monday at 2 p.m. at No. 11 Northwestern.